Solar power offers a very energy efficient alternative to electricity that is purchased from a utilities company. Solar panels, installed on a home’s roof, convert light to electricity through a photovoltaics process. This solar energy can provide the sole source of electricity, called off grid, or it can be used in conjunction with a local electricity provider, called on grid.
There are many benefits to using a solar power system:
- Renewable energy source that does not emit any green house gases
- Extremely durable and efficient
- Cost savings – beyond installment and maintenance, solar energy is free
- Long lasting, generally more than 30 years
- Government tax credits
- Increases value of home
Colorado is very suitable for solar electricity because of the amount of sunshine we get. The location of the solar panels needs to be on the portion of the roof that receives direct sun during the time when the sunlight is strongest, usually 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. This is known as insolation. The more unblocked sunlight, the better.
We recently worked with Bestway Mechanical for a solar installation on a home we built. The following equipment was used:
- 35 SunPower solar panels mounted with stand-offs over the tile roof. They are high-output, monocrystalline solar cell modules.
- 1 SMA, 5000 watt, 240 volt, high efficient inverter connected to the whole house and the grid.
- 1 SMA, 6000 watt, 240 volt, high efficient inverter connected to the whole house, the grid, and the battery back-up system.
- 1 SMA Sunny Island, 240 volt Autoformer, which allows for the batteries to supply 60 amps of power to a critical load/emergency panel. This system is connected to the whole house and provides solar/battery back-up power to the house.
- 8 Full River maintenance free batteries. These batteries and the solar panels provide power in the event of a power outage.
A representative from Bestway Mechanical explained, “This system is designed to offset all of the customer’s energy needs. When the electrical grid is functioning, the solar provides power to the house. Any excess power is fed into the grid and can be used at night or at a later date. In the event of a power outage, the solar and batteries provide power to the house. The house can function without the grid for multiple days at a time if needed.”
If this sounds like something you would like to explore, we can have a solar system designed for your new home!